Ash handling - Circumix Dense Slurry Technology
An effective and environmentally sound solution for the disposal of coal combustion residues (CCRs). Mixing is the key factor of a successful Dense Slurry System (DSS). Its importance is much greater than generally considered. Highly effective mixing ensures outstanding slurry homogeneity.
Only homogenous dense slurry can effectively and trouble-freely be transported by pumping through pipelines.
If the appropriate homogeneity is ensured, all the advantages of pumping through pipelines can be exploited from transporting large particles, through low maintenance cost and power demand, long pump life-time to the even quality of the deposited material.
In addition to that, the effective mixing is favours chemical reactions in the slurry which also has important positive impact on the final quality of the deposited, stabilised dense slurry in the ash-field.
Homogenous dense slurry deposits have the achievable highest compressive strength and lowest hydraulic conductivity among the competing technologies, if the same feedstock materials are considered. As a consequence, the disposal site is characterized by dry, solid surfaces with no fugitive dust, low leachate rates with authority accepted leachate quality, easy maintenance and operation.
Circumix technology is the first and unique proven ash handling technology in the world which employs hydrodynamic mixing in order to maximize mixing efficiency and thus achieve outstanding slurry homogeneity and quality. In case of poor quality coal, Circumix Dense Slurry technology is practically the only solution for effective, economic, reliable and long life-time ash processing and disposal.
The Circumix DSS features several advantages:
- Simple and reliable to operate
- Wide range of control (also at partial load)
- Continuous, trouble-free operation for over 4000-8000 hours between overhauls
- Low operational and maintenance costs over the full technical life-time
- System life-time over 15 - 20 years
- Optimum water usage, low electrical power consumption, small pipeline diameters
- In addition to fly ash (FA) and water, also bottom/bed ash (BA) - up to particle size of 15-25 mm (3/4” – 1”), gypsum slurry from flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) plant and waste waters can be utilised by the system and disposed of in a safe way
With our expertise established through decades of experience and innovation, we can provide customised solutions for the fly ash and bottom ash related challenges of your power plant. Our tailor-made Circumix solutions are optimized for technical and economic performance.